users@glassfish.java.net

Connection Pool Configurations and Monitoring Results

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 02:09:11 PDT

Hello

I've got couple of connection pools deployed against a cluster which different parts of the application makes use of. The app looks up these connections through spring jndi lookup and works fine. My cluster is a multi-machine cluster with two instances.

The question I had was around the connection pool configurations and what the monitoring feature shows up. I have one connection pool which has 30 for the MaxConnectionPoolSize and the other with 70. I've enabled monitoring for JDBC connection pools (set to HIGH). I ran few journeys in the app that utilizes the connection pools and was keeping an eye on the resource monitoring for the connection pools on both instances.

I've struggled to understand what the monitoring page shows me. For pool with 30 MaxConnectionPoolSize the monitoring page shows;
'NumConnAcquired' as 135 at one point (and grows)
'NumConnReleased' as 135 at one point (and grows)
'NumConnFree' as 3 (and have hardly seen this changing)
'NumConnCreated' as 3 (and have hardly seen this changing)

I'm not sure why the connections aquired would be 135 when I've said it to be 30 max connections. Are there any further tuninig I need to be aware of or am I completely missing something here.

From an implementation point-of-view, I'm using the HibernateTemplate to on which I rely on in closing connections after using them, which it seems to be doing based on some debugging done.

Any thoughts/hints/points would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

-- Imran
[Message sent by forum member 'imranbohoran' (imranbohoran)]