users@glassfish.java.net

Re: docroot of web app / mod_jk

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 15:26:14 PDT

Dave,

We have a 2.1 ( 9.1_01 (build b09d-fcs) system running on virtual hosts alone and have experienced all the issues you discussed. I finally took all the other sites off the machine that were just html and php and placed them on GoDaddy Servers because we could only get martincity.org (our one FLEX RIA application with Blaze) to work with the / as the default in the url.

I have read posts from Thorleif Wiik from 2007, Jean-Francois Arcand's Blog 2006, Amy Roh's Blog 2007, and then these latest posts from 2009. They all seem outdated (with the exception of the 2009 posts), the possibilities for error and missteps are many, and I hate to set my one LINUX infrastructure guy (who is part time and working for food) to trying to assimilate all this information just so he can get something to work, that other platforms seem to take for granted. It's enough to make me consider JBoss!

We really want to go with Glassfish, but we are developers, not infrastructure people. Actually I have the most experience with WebLogic, which integrates easily with Apache with an easy plugin. If we are going to go with Glassfish then we must have a way to use domain names alone, which do not need trailing root folders.

Thank you for reading my rant, even though I do like the Glassfish product, I have to seriously consider if it's worth the issues of deployment when there are other products that are free, with scads of documentation to support them.

If we can get over this hurdle quickly, then I won't change horses, and maybe that's where you can help. Please tell me if there is a single location that we can go to find out how to do the following...

1. Integrate Apache with Glassfish v2.1 FinalBuild
2. Setup virtual servers as you have indicated

Reading through this thread is difficult to try to pick out what will and will not work until the end, and then you go on to say that you will post a definitive set of instructions to help others, so I'm wondering what may have been left out.

I know more than many, just how hard it is to follow through with my good intentions of sharing and preventing pain for others. You sound like a good soul, I hope you can provide us with some assistance in short form that we can apply quickly and with success. Screen shots are always the best in place of text descriptions, as I always wonder if I'm doing the same thing that was written.

We are installing the latest build in the Amazon Cloud. We could have went with the SUN AMI version, but because they chose to build it with the SUN version of their Open Source OS, our Sybase ASE Express Edition was not guaranteed to work on it, so we had to start from scratch. This is the version we will implement on.

Thank You,

Curtis Fisher
[Message sent by forum member 'cdfisher001' (cdfisher001)]