users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Deploying to a cluster with no downtime

From: Vishal Mehra <vishal.m.mehra_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 14:19:49 -0700

Please see response inline.

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM, <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org> wrote:

> Vishal, I'm not sure I understand your solution can I confirm a few things:
> When you Quiesce instanceA this leaves instanceB responding to client
> requests?

That's correct, instanceB would continue to accept and responds to client
requests.

are deploying to a cluster which contains InstanceA & InstanceB?

That's correct. All instances participating in a given cluster would
eventually get an update. In the scanerio under discussion, instanceB (and
other instances) would continue to work with AppVersion1 . Once instanceB is
quiesced and re-enabled, automatically, AppVersion2 is going to be deployed.
Hope this makes sense.

> When you do the deploy what prevents glassfish from pushing the application
> update to InstanceB?

Until the instance is bounced, new version of the app is not going to be
deployed on that instance.