users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Re: GlassFish Contributions (was GLASSFISH IS LAME)

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 10:55:58 +0200

> re: local autonomy -- sure, we have been working on that for many
> years.
> Sun has had strong investments in India at least since mid 90s. We
> have
> local managers, local directors, etc, etc.

Thank you for playing the ball into my domain: Yes, SUN has local
engineers, but the community has not. My proposal was to have the
community elect those local deciders. That means, Sun then must ask a
possibly external decider to merge a proposed patch. Not vice versa. See
how hard the work then would be for Sun? Exactly that hard is the work
currently for external contributors.

> I think we understand how all this works in theory, but in the
> practice,
> and in a large organization, there are limits. And the larger and
more
> complex, and faster moving, the artifact, the harder it is to make
> these
> things work.

Sure, but you mix up the internal structures of Sun with the public
structures of the community. Sun has more power in the community than
others, so there is a skew in the democratic system. Also you seem to
ignore that there are publicly managed projects like Linux and KDE which
work very well without having a single vendor making decisions behind
closed doors. And I would not say Linux and KDE is plain theory. From
you view you could also say, there is no need for public elections as Mr
Bush already has had embassadors all over the world solving regional
conflicts without public discussion. But sure we all are glad that the
president gets elected and that the people can vote for or against
particular actions. Don't we?

Regards
Markus