users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish Contributions (was GLASSFISH IS LAME)

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri_at_sun.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 08:59:32 -0700

Sure, I know there is a feedback loop, but this is all about
(engineering) tradeoffs.

Two large concentrations of GF developers are in the West Coast of the
US and in India. Asynchronous mail-based coordination between those two
sites is very hard. A common symptom is the "nothing happens while I'm
awake; I went to sleep and whole conversations started, flamed and
ended". Or the "two-email exchanges, 10hrs pause, two email exchanges...".

It's different when everybody is in the US or even US+Europe (& geos in
close TZs, see [1]); then you can have a real conversation by email.
Blogs help with the TZ and synchronous/asynchonous issues, see [2], but
there is a limit to what can be done that way.

Jerome would know, but I think a key part of the engineering meeting is
to address these problems.

[1]http://weblogs.java.net/blog/pelegri/archive/2003/08/distance_in_the.html
[2]http://weblogs.java.net/blog/pelegri/archive/2006/02/time_zones_dont_1.html

Processes evolve to track communities needs. Over time we have added
wikis, twitters, ustream, etc. If you want to contribute we can figure
out how to make it easier for you to participate.

        - eduard/o