users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish Contributions (was GLASSFISH IS LAME)

From: Eduardo Pelegri-Llopart <pelegri_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 20:06:36 -0700

> And do you think a meeting is a good idea, with respect to the fact that
> all contributors are spread all over the world and don't like the idea
> to stand up in the middle of the night just because someone (who?)
> decided that there are meetings instead of a public online discussion
> and voting system?

It is a tradeoff between making it very easy for people to contribute
and allowing faster decisions with a higher bandwidth.

What we have been doing is combining synchronous (meetings in different
modalities) and asynchronous (mailing lists and blogs) meetings.
Subcomponent groups tend to favor asynchronous mailing lists discussions
because they are smaller and have more participation (and I know the two
are related). The larger integration of all the pieces tends to favor
the synchronous communication mechanisms. But both tools are used.

Apache only uses asynchronous - just email afaik - tools. Given their
goals that seems right. I think our use of both types of tools is the
right for our goals and our size... and the level of external interest.

If we had many external contributors wanting to participate in the
larger architectural decisions, we would lean more on synchronous tools.

        - eduard/o