users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Dissapointed

From: John Clingan <John.Clingan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 08:41:05 -0700

On Jul 11, 2009, at 12:18 AM, Markus Karg wrote:

> Adam,
>
> it's sad to see you going, but I can understand your point of view
> and the trigger behind this step. For professional use cases it just
> is not acceptable to wait for long time one P1 fix.
>
> In part, I share your experiences with the GlassFish project
> management. I also reported several bugs, and the P1 issue among
> them still is unfixed for months. It is a matter of fact that lots
> of bugs do not get fixed for even years. Despite your assumption, as
> a Sun sales representative told me, a maintenance contract does NOT
> improve that situation, as Sun is not obliged to FIX a bug but just
> to deliver ANY workaround (what means, their debt is released as
> soon as you modified YOUR application to get around with the still
> existing bug). BTW, I talked once a week to Sun sales to get an
> offer for a maintenance contract, but after one quarter I have given
> up now -- nobody ever called me back, while this was pretended every
> week.

This is a bug which we can fix if still interested.

> Even for an open source contributor like me it is hard to understand
> the policy Sun is applying, so I just can speculate about the
> reasons behind this. This is just my personal experience and
> subjective view, but as you wrote, this posting shall aim in the
> improvement of the overall management process.
>
> Our company is an ISV. We are providing a Java EE based application
> to a big share of our 1.200+ enterprise customers. Several thousands
> of people are using our Java EE based application every day, all
> over the world. Its development started back in 2001 using JOnAS
> form ObjectWeb. There had been lots of bugs in JOnAS, I personally
> reported several dozens of issues, and lots of them had been highest
> priority. In the beginning, the team was exerted to fix at least a
> few of them (but not always those with the highest severity). I was
> told that this is an open source project and I shall contribute
> (more than I already did with all the reproduction configs). So I
> started fixing some of them on my own, also I contributed some
> features. It took a long time for each to get into a release, and it
> seemed a lot of paid core members felt offended by the fact that
> externals provide fixes for bugs they reported. After a lof of
> senseless argueing about the fact that it makes no sense to provide
> an open source product if P1 bugs are not getting fixed even in the
> next release, we had to leave the project.
>
> This was why we came to GlassFish. In the beginning all was shiny.
> Despite the fact that GlassFish v2 already had production stable
> Java EE 5 support years before JOnAS had, GlassFish was much more
> stable and faster than JOnAS. For each question we asked in the
> forum, there was a useful answer within hours to days. GlassFish
> people all had been very helpful and friendly, and it really felt
> like those guys like to help you and appreciate your bug reports as
> a contribution to improve the product's quality. But for several
> months this had changed substantially, at least in the purely
> subjective feeling of a user. More and more of my bug reports are
> not getting fixed, and even worse, a P1 showstopper I reported is in
> the queue and NOBODY is working on it. I asked two times for a
> status update, and NOTHING happens. The team seems to have either no
> interest or time to fix even P1 issues.

This is a very valuable thread. We have some work to do to set
expectations up front, and to fix some of our processes.

> If you ask me what the reason is, then I would name it "ORACLE". I
> could imagine that it is not much fun to come to work everyday with
> the knowledge that your company was just acquired by your business
> rival, and they have a concurrent product and have not told anything
> yet about the product YOU are working on or YOUR job. Actually some
> Sun employees directly told me that their product development
> definitively IS stalled due to the ORACLE deal, and they are full
> time workers in a GlassFish sub project. So while I have no evidence
> that GlassFish maintenance is reduced by intention, it at least
> FEELS this way out of the view of the average user (in fact I can't
> find anyother reason why P1 issues are untouched for months and Sun
> sales is not calling me back for a maintenance contract offer for
> months).
>
> I copy this email directly to Eduardo, who (so I hope) has some
> influence on this. GlassFish is a great product and I never regret
> the day I enforced the switch from JOnAS to GlassFish. But as your
> case shows, the maintenance seems to have too low priority
> currently. Professional users do not need the latest features, they
> need stability and performance (two things which unfortunately are
> not sexy enough for marketing people, I know; the word "NEW!" is
> what they love, certainly). Unless the GlassFish management will
> invest more in fixing bugs, there will be more people like you,
> which don't want to but actually have to leave due to missing
> stability.
>
> I hope that GlassFish will not trap into the same gap than JOnAS
> did. The JOnAS product is nearly dead. Virtually everybody left it
> for a concurrent product. At some days there are ZERO messages in
> the mailing list. The cause of this is exactly the management
> failures that we see now in GlassFish: No answers to customers, no
> work on P1 bugs, leaving bugs open in favour of new features. As a
> GlassFish community member, I really really hope that the GlassFish
> management is concious about the effects of this and prevents
> GlassFish from the same bad end that JOnAS already reached.

This is a tough balance. While I don't like to see no answer, we do
have to prioritize. It gets back to us setting expectations up front.