users@glassfish.java.net

RE: Dissapointed

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 09:18:48 +0200

Adam,

it's sad to see you going, but I can understand your point of view and the trigger behind this step. For professional use cases it just is not acceptable to wait for long time one P1 fix.

In part, I share your experiences with the GlassFish project management. I also reported several bugs, and the P1 issue among them still is unfixed for months. It is a matter of fact that lots of bugs do not get fixed for even years. Despite your assumption, as a Sun sales representative told me, a maintenance contract does NOT improve that situation, as Sun is not obliged to FIX a bug but just to deliver ANY workaround (what means, their debt is released as soon as you modified YOUR application to get around with the still existing bug). BTW, I talked once a week to Sun sales to get an offer for a maintenance contract, but after one quarter I have given up now -- nobody ever called me back, while this was pretended every week.

Even for an open source contributor like me it is hard to understand the policy Sun is applying, so I just can speculate about the reasons behind this. This is just my personal experience and subjective view, but as you wrote, this posting shall aim in the improvement of the overall management process.

Our company is an ISV. We are providing a Java EE based application to a big share of our 1.200+ enterprise customers. Several thousands of people are using our Java EE based application every day, all over the world. Its development started back in 2001 using JOnAS form ObjectWeb. There had been lots of bugs in JOnAS, I personally reported several dozens of issues, and lots of them had been highest priority. In the beginning, the team was exerted to fix at least a few of them (but not always those with the highest severity). I was told that this is an open source project and I shall contribute (more than I already did with all the reproduction configs). So I started fixing some of them on my own, also I contributed some features. It took a long time for each to get into a release, and it seemed a lot of paid core members felt offended by the fact that externals provide fixes for bugs they reported. After a lof of senseless argueing about the fact that it makes no sense to provide an open source product if P1 bugs are not getting fixed even in the next release, we had to leave the project.

This was why we came to GlassFish. In the beginning all was shiny. Despite the fact that GlassFish v2 already had production stable Java EE 5 support years before JOnAS had, GlassFish was much more stable and faster than JOnAS. For each question we asked in the forum, there was a useful answer within hours to days. GlassFish people all had been very helpful and friendly, and it really felt like those guys like to help you and appreciate your bug reports as a contribution to improve the product's quality. But for several months this had changed substantially, at least in the purely subjective feeling of a user. More and more of my bug reports are not getting fixed, and even worse, a P1 showstopper I reported is in the queue and NOBODY is working on it. I asked two times for a status update, and NOTHING happens. The team seems to have either no interest or time to fix even P1 issues.

If you ask me what the reason is, then I would name it "ORACLE". I could imagine that it is not much fun to come to work everyday with the knowledge that your company was just acquired by your business rival, and they have a concurrent product and have not told anything yet about the product YOU are working on or YOUR job. Actually some Sun employees directly told me that their product development definitively IS stalled due to the ORACLE deal, and they are full time workers in a GlassFish sub project. So while I have no evidence that GlassFish maintenance is reduced by intention, it at least FEELS this way out of the view of the average user (in fact I can't find anyother reason why P1 issues are untouched for months and Sun sales is not calling me back for a maintenance contract offer for months).

I copy this email directly to Eduardo, who (so I hope) has some influence on this. GlassFish is a great product and I never regret the day I enforced the switch from JOnAS to GlassFish. But as your case shows, the maintenance seems to have too low priority currently. Professional users do not need the latest features, they need stability and performance (two things which unfortunately are not sexy enough for marketing people, I know; the word "NEW!" is what they love, certainly). Unless the GlassFish management will invest more in fixing bugs, there will be more people like you, which don't want to but actually have to leave due to missing stability.

I hope that GlassFish will not trap into the same gap than JOnAS did. The JOnAS product is nearly dead. Virtually everybody left it for a concurrent product. At some days there are ZERO messages in the mailing list. The cause of this is exactly the management failures that we see now in GlassFish: No answers to customers, no work on P1 bugs, leaving bugs open in favour of new features. As a GlassFish community member, I really really hope that the GlassFish management is concious about the effects of this and prevents GlassFish from the same bad end that JOnAS already reached.

I think it is at the time that the GlassFish management is writing an official statement about the covered problems so people know what the reasons are and what GlassFish management is actively doing to solve the issues.

Thanks
Markus