users@glassfish.java.net

GlassFish getting "Merged" with WebLogic?

From: Markus Karg <karg_at_quipsy.de>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:56:09 +0200

Dear Oracle,

since the day when Oracle obtained Sun there was no official statement, what will happen with GlassFish (while there had been lots of questions about the GlassFish future in this forum). It looks like Oracle is not very communicative about their actual plans or thinks that the GlassFish community is not worth getting told the truth. Well, if I can believe what an Oracle consultant told me in a private email today (what certainly was not an official statement, so we have to treat it as a rumour), then GlassFish currently is getting "merged" with WebLogic. As we all are Software Architects we can imagine that something like "merging" (in the sense of "keep everything unchanged but put it together into one piece") two application servers is, well, certainly near to impossible (unless both products had been branched from the same origin and you just try to merge back all change sets into the same trunk). I wonder (a) whether Oracle really thinks that such an attempt would be a technical possibility (do they really believe that inside of GlassFish would be anything which would be compatible with anything inside of WebLogic from the view of existing source code?) and (b) whether Oracle is not telling the GlassFish community the naked truth finally about their plans for GlassFish. After all, GlassFish is a community product (at least Sun always told so), so it is not friendly citizenship to do large code modifications "behind the scenes". The GlassFish community has a right to get told the actual plans. Are the open source times over? Is the idea of the community passé? Shall I go and tell our customers to skip to JBoss (as one of the last existing Open Source products)? What is going on? What??

I think it is now the time to go to the public and tell the GlassFish community what actually is going on there. Tell us the (complete) truth! Now.

Regards

Markus