users@glassfish.java.net

Re: New Java User needs Pointbase

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:05:46 PDT

No you don't need Pointbase ;-) Nor Appserver 8.x unless you need to study the older version of Java Enterprise. You now have a mix of old and new components, there are quite a lot of differences between the 8.x and 9.x servers.

If I were you I'd start over (that is, remove whatever you have installed because by now it's probably a bit a mess of everything) and get you going with a minimum set of bundles to install. Just leave the JDK installed.
So:
- go here http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/ which is the JEE5 tutorial. A good book that should get you started. There's also a PDF version here http://java.sun.com/javaee/5/docs/tutorial/doc/JavaEETutorial.pdf . I'd suggest to do some reading already to get oriented, Java Enterprise is rather big....

- then, get and install a Netbeans+Glassfish bundle here http://www.netbeans.org/downloads/index.html . The "Java" bundle is perfect. This will install a Netbeans environment and a Glassfish instance. You don't need Tomcat nor Glassfish 3, just install the Glassfish 2.

- go here https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/CDS-CDS_Developer-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProductDetail-Start?ProductRef=javaee-5-doc-tutorial-1.0_05-oth-JPR@CDS-CDS_Developer and download and install the samples bundle.

- MySQL: for studying the samples you don't need MySQL, it only adds complexity. The JavaDB (Derby) database server that's included in Glassfish will do just fine.

I hope this gets you started.

fvu
[Message sent by forum member 'fvu' (fvu)]