users@glassfish.java.net

New Java User needs Pointbase

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:32:11 PDT

I am totally new to Java.

I downloaded and installed JDK1.6.0_14, J2EE 5.0, GlassFish, MySql, Netbeans 6.5.1, the whole package.

Then I downloaded all the samples at Java.Sun.Com.

I opened up the customer-cmp-ear sample in Netbeans and tried to run it.

This error appeared: Internal Exception: java.sql.SQLException: Error in allocating a connection. Cause: Connection could not be allocated because: The connection was refused because the database sun-appserv-samples was not found.

The help screen said that sun-appserv-samples is in Pointbase, but Pointbase IS NOT in my Sun\AppServer folder.

The help screen also says: When you install the Sun Java System Application Server 8.1, the Pointbase database JDBC drivers are installed and the Pointbase Database Server is installed into the Sun/AppServer/pointbase directory.

I don't know what App Server 8.1 is, and I don't know if it interferes with the GlassFish server.

I WANT POINTBASE SO I CAN RUN AND STUDY MY SAMPLES. What do I do now?

---- 2 hours later ----

Now I've gone further. Still believing what the help screen told me (see post#1), I installed Application Server Platform Edition 8.2. So now it shows up on my Start Menu for Sun Microsystems. Both PE 8.2 and v2.1 (Glassfish) are hanging off the Sun Microsystems menu.

BUT POINTBASE STILL DID NOT SHOW UP! THE HELP SCREEN SAID IT WOULD. HOW DO I GET POINTBASE?

Plus, did I mess up by installing PE 8.2 and GlassFish together? Can they co-exist?
[Message sent by forum member 'richard747' (richard747)]