users@glassfish.java.net

Re: When do I need Multicast, HADB, in-memory-replication on a cluster?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 12:31:12 PDT

Hi,

thank you for your reply, that was exactly the information I needed.

I just have one more question regarding point 3:
> 3. Both our GMS (Group Membership Service) and our
> replication framework do make use
> of multi-cast. It looks like you will not be using
> the replication framework, so you need to decide if
> you have need for GMS.

I want to have some kind of virtual JNDI/JMS/IIOP that always uses one of two instances of a Glassfish. E.g. if I send a message to queue/someQueue then both servers know about the queue and my application but of course only one MDB on one server should pick it up and do something with it. I hope that is comprehensible. ;) I'm new to this clustering stuff.
Simple question: does clustering work at all without GMS/multicast? If I cannot enable multicast in the network, I'm not able to do all this?

Thanks in advance,
Chris.
[Message sent by forum member 'chrjohn' (chrjohn)]