users@glassfish.java.net

Re: When do I need Multicast, HADB, in-memory-replication on a cluster?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:30:46 PDT

Hi Chris:

Taking your questions one at a time:

1. Correct. If you make no use of HTTP sessions nor SFSB's then you have no need for HADB or in-memory replication.

Both SLSB's and MDB's are stateless - here is useful information about MDB's:
In several respects, a message-driven bean resembles a stateless session bean.

    * A message-driven bean's instances retain no data or conversational state for a specific client.
    * All instances of a message-driven bean are equivalent, allowing the EJB container to assign a message to any message-driven bean instance. The container can pool these instances to allow streams of messages to be processed concurrently.
    * A single message-driven bean can process messages from multiple clients.

2. JMS providers give you the option to have persistent topics, queues and messages.
This feature is meant to address your use case "I do not want JMS messages to get lost".
For more details on how the GlassFish MQ handles this consult the documentation.

3. Both our GMS (Group Membership Service) and our replication framework do make use
of multi-cast. It looks like you will not be using the replication framework, so you need to decide if you have need for GMS.

hope this helps
[Message sent by forum member 'lwhite' (lwhite)]