users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Timezones, Glassfish, Two different systems: How do I change the TZ of Glassfish?

From: rdblaha1 <rd_blaha_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 13:02:57 -0700 (PDT)

Alex Sherwin wrote:

> The underlying JDK uses the systems time I believe...

Thank you Marina and Alex. Your information is helpful. While we have been
working for several years in Java, and your answers gave a help
consideration for furthering our time library we have developed, we are
fairly new to Glassfish and persistence. Prior we were using direct JDBC
access to our database. The database doesn't care one way or another. It
just accepts time or dates as long integers that has worked great. However,
we have intentionally based our numbers placed in the database to be UTC.

The problem we are seeing is that the application server appears to apply
the system time zone of the environment it is in and perform a conversion
before it persists the value to the database. Since we continue to use the
older system in parallel with the new system we are developing. Therefore
the time value Glassfish persists to the database cannot be read by the
pre-application server system and return the date and time that is expected.
The older system is not going to be re-written to guess at what Time Zone
that Glassfish was in when it persisted the time value to the database.

Because of this I was asking if there is a way to tell Glassfish which Time
zone I want it to use?

Thank you.