users@glassfish.java.net

Re: your current Glassfish evaluation

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:39:50 +0100

A few more things based on that URL.

GlassFish is a lively project making progress on a very regular basis
(one comment reads "There will be an upgrade for GlassFish in early
2008").
So there is now an embedded story to GlassFish: see http://embedded-glassfish.dev.java.net/
  and overall, GlassFish v3 is meant to be modular providing just what
the application requires and just a web container for instance (this
is what v3 Prelude does).

I suppose the comment from the Tomcat user about GlassFish being
complex is from a single user. Resistance to change could explain this.
The startup time is in no way different when used with or without
netbeans. not sure where that came from.

Other things I failed to mention previously:
- grizzly is the key to a lot of the performance benefits for
GlassFish (excellent specjappserver results btw, ask other open source
vendors about theirs....). It also provide extreme configuration help
and features like Comet/AjaxPush, suspend/resume, ARP or QoS for
requests.
- the Update Center for GlassFish - don't like toplink as the JPA
provider? Hibernate JPA is available from the update center. Want to
use previews of Java EE6? JSF 2.0, EJB 3.1 is on the update center.,
etc...

cheers,
-ALexis