users@glassfish.java.net

Re: your current Glassfish evaluation

From: Alexis Moussine-Pouchkine <alexis.mp_at_sun.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:42:25 +0100

On Mar 12, 2009, at 12:02, glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:

> Ok thank you very much for the reply. The video was very
> interesting, but didn't help so much since it only spoke about HTTP-
> load balancing.

Indeed. Another one is coming up I understand. Right John? ;)

> But starting from the links you gave me, I finally managed to find
> out some clues of a load-balancing other than HTTP.
>
> Here: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-4341/abdbd?a=view they
> are speaking about Setting up RMI-IIOP Load Balancing and Failover
> for applications running in the application client container (ACC),
> and there: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-4336/beakv?a=view ,
> they are explaining what is the ACC and that it contains EJB. Now I
> am looking for an evidence that an EJB3 (and if possible JNDI) load-
> balancing exists, since the EJB version is not precised.

GlassFish is in its second major release and third year of supporting
Java EE 5. EJB load-balancing is there for all versions of EJBs, 2.x
and 3.0.

> As for Glassfish v3, it doesn't seem very interesting at all: this
> comparison: https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/comparing_v2_and_v3.html
> shows that a lot of very interesting features like EJB3, JMS,
> Application Client Container, load balancing and clustering are only
> available in version 2

The comparison is between v2 and v3 "Prelude" which is essentially a
web container at this point.
If EJB container is what you need, stick to v2 until v3 ships with
full EE and clustering support.
Many people are excited about v3 (modular architecture with fast
startup, load-on demand, small memory footprint, etc...). You may not
be in that category which is fine. v3 is not a replacement for v2 just
yet.

> If I can make a little remark, there are some things to improve in
> the communication. It is unbelievable that such very important
> features like EJB load balancing are hidden in the far bottom of the
> documentation, and that you have to dig so much to find
> documentation about it. When you compare to JOnAS' beautiful
> document http://jonas.objectweb.org/JONAS_5_1_0/doc/doc-en/html/clustering_guide.html
> , glassfish's documentation is far behind.

thanks. I'll pass this along to the documentation team (note we have a
dedicated docs_at_glassfish.dev.java.net mailing list set up for such
feedback).
EJB clustering is very important de many. It's always hard to strike a
balance between the many features of a product.

cheers,
-Alexis