users@glassfish.java.net

Re: your current Glassfish evaluation

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 04:02:29 PDT

Ok thank you very much for the reply. The video was very interesting, but didn't help so much since it only spoke about HTTP-load balancing. But starting from the links you gave me, I finally managed to find out some clues of a load-balancing other than HTTP.

Here: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-4341/abdbd?a=view they are speaking about Setting up RMI-IIOP Load Balancing and Failover for applications running in the application client container (ACC), and there: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-4336/beakv?a=view , they are explaining what is the ACC and that it contains EJB. Now I am looking for an evidence that an EJB3 (and if possible JNDI) load-balancing exists, since the EJB version is not precised.

As for Glassfish v3, it doesn't seem very interesting at all: this comparison: https://glassfish.dev.java.net/public/comparing_v2_and_v3.html shows that a lot of very interesting features like EJB3, JMS, Application Client Container, load balancing and clustering are only available in version 2.

If I can make a little remark, there are some things to improve in the communication. It is unbelievable that such very important features like EJB load balancing are hidden in the far bottom of the documentation, and that you have to dig so much to find documentation about it. When you compare to JOnAS' beautiful document http://jonas.objectweb.org/JONAS_5_1_0/doc/doc-en/html/clustering_guide.html , glassfish's documentation is far behind.
[Message sent by forum member 'aldian' (aldian)]