users@glassfish.java.net

Re: semi-OT: scripting solution for simple prototypes?

From: Vivek Pandey <Vivek.Pandey_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 09:13:10 -0800

Kristian Rink wrote:
> Folks:
>
> not completely on-topic, nevertheless: At the moment I am in search for a
> quick solution to do, well, "prototype development" in our glassfish
> environment, quick, dirty and straightforward, yet not without being capable
> of easily accessing our Java EE components in the backend system. So far I
> see that glassfish does provide scripting facilities (jython, ruby), but so
> far I do have no experience with either one of those in there... My idea
> would be something like having a "scripts folder" on the glassfish server
> where to dump .py / .rb / whatever files and having them accessible
> immediately, without being required to redeploy/restart an application or
> something like that... Will the current glassfish scripting facilities allow
> for things like that? If so, how to get this set up and running to make it
> work? Experiences with something like that, anyone? :)

This is an interesting idea.

The current supports we have are for Rails or Grails framework. These
are diffferent web frameworks and allow access to the JavaEE
components. For example, you can compose, a Rails and a Servlet
application together. Similarly with Grails you would be writing your
application on Groovy and have access to the whole JavaEE. This needs
presence of these web framework runtimes and awareness of the
programming mode.

For what you are looking for, we would need the web container to be
aware of the scripting runtime and process it differently.

This would be sort of support for things like GSP (groovy script pages),
or PyServlet[1] or for that matter any other dynamic language, where you
expect edit-save-refresh behavior.

You seem to have good idea on what you want. Is this something you would
like to contribute to GlassFish?

In any case, please report an issue at:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/servlets/ProjectIssues so that more
people can vote on it and it can be tracked.

thanks,

-vivek.

[1]http://weblogs.java.net/blog/vivekp/archive/2008/03/my_first_jython.html