users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Opinions Wanted: v3 GUI Prototype

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 22:32:11 -0500

I'm not sure if I like it or not. I like how when I log into the Oracle
Enterprise Manager web application the first thing I see is a dashboard
of panels containing useful information. Monitoring, alerts, etc. I'd
prefer to see a dashboard like that when logging into GlassFish console
rather than the Common Tasks screen. I never ever use the common tasks
screen. I think it looks nice but is not useful to me.

When the demo screen loads the tags section is partially rendered near
the top of the screen, then after a second or two it snaps into its
proper position and reveal the desired output. I don't like watching
web pages render like that.

I liked how the tree let me have a high level overview of everything in
the system. It was easy to discover things. However, it did take up
space and requires a frame to be used properly (horizontal scrolling) so
a menu might be better. I think I like how the new menu is organized.

I don't think I'd use the tagging feature.