users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Application client size

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 08:39:17 PST

Hi, Ankur.

I'm not sure exactly what TC downloads. Java Web Start can be - and very often is - used to download any Java app, not just Java EE app clients. My guess is that TC is downloading a Java app, not a Jave EE app client.

I agree, as do many other app client developers!, that the footprint of the ACC is much too large. This results mostly because the classes which the ACC needs are bundled in with GlassFish JARs that contain many classes the ACC does NOT need. The reorganization of JARs that is part of v3 should help with this.

Unfortunately, there is no workaround in v2 for launching Java EE clients using Java Web Start. Note that you can build a regular Java app and write a JNLP to launch it, bundle both inside a web app, then deploy the web app to GlassFish. Point your users to the JNLP's URL and the app will launch. Of course, such an app would not have access to the services which the ACC provides - security, injection of references to resources and EJBs, etc. But this might be a possibility for you, depending on the exact requirements of your client.

Sorry the news is not better for v2. We want to improve this greatly in v3.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]