users@glassfish.java.net

Professional Support on community (jar) installer.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 07:34:47 PST

We've recently gone to production on glassfish with one of our customers and purchased support. We had gone to production on a RC release of 2.1 and need to upgrade to 2.1 FC now that its released and were told that Sun doesn't support the community based install of glassfish.

I know I've read here several times that there is no difference in the binaries between the enterprise and jar installer and the only difference was the installer itself. We've already gone to great lengths to automate installs with the jar installer and we have all sorts of issues with the enterprise one.

I read adoption stories where people have gone to production and haven't purchased support yet but plan to. For every customer like that, is it expected that they would take an outage to completely re-install their production environments to move from the community installer to the enterprise one? Or did I misunderstand the Sun Support rep and an install from glassfish jar installer should be supported just the same as the enterprise one?

TIA

Andrew
[Message sent by forum member 'areplogle' (areplogle)]