users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Outside world cannot connect to my server.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:32:48 PST

Hi,
What is your statup page for your web application?

You can create a index.html and use the redirect to whatever it is you want to load on port 80 for the outside world to see:

Sample:

With application server 9 looks like you are set to port 8080 for web you might want to change that to port 80. There are a couple of ways you can do this one might be to use http://www.no-ip.com with will allow you to redirect your url for example:
on my server I have Tomcat and WebSynergy running I use no-ip to redirect to Tomcat on port 7070 using my domain name. I setup http://test.welford-costelloe.com to point to Tomcat port 7070 and my web site is running apache on port 80 with websynergy on port 8080 (confused yet?)
I have one domain of http://www.welford-costelloe.com which I use.

So on Tomcat (http://tomcat.apache.org/) I have 2 applications:

1. http://localhost:7070/jtrac
2. http://localhost:7070/myapp

On port 80 I have Apache web server
1. http://localhost

WebSynergy on port 8080
1. http://localhost:8080

In order to use all of the above I must have a domain name to allow the oustside world to access the applications. so I setup the following using http://www.no-ip.com/ :

1. http://www.welford-costelloe.com = port 80 (default) apache web server
2. http://bugs.welford-costelloe.com = port 7070/jtrac Tomcat
3. http;//testapp.welford-costelloe.com port 7070/myapp
3. http://test.welford-costelloe.com = port 8080 websynergy (https://portal.dev.java.net/public/Downloads.html)

If in your case you do not have a domain name you will need to tell people your ip address:

for example http://215.234.567:8080 should show up the your server is setup.
There is a lot you have to do in order to allow access to your server to the outside world and it sounds like you are running a windows server. If you want you can contact me at my main site and I will help you setup what you need. no-ip has a free domain available which you can use for testing. by the way just as an FYI never turn off Windows firewall :-)

There are a couple of things to note also, depending on your internet provider they may block port 80 and others.
So understanding your complete setup version of windows etc, type or router and other settings for local domain are good to know.
Unless I have totally misunderstood your question?

Hope this helps
[Message sent by forum member 'rebelrouser' (rebelrouser)]