users@glassfish.java.net

Re: JMS jndi.properties in GlassFish v2.1; appclient plans for v3 [was Re: Several questions about appserv-rt.jar... and more]

From: Tim Quinn <Timothy.Quinn_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 09:40:03 -0600

Hello, Antonio. I can answer some of your questions. I've modified the
subject in hopes of capturing the attention of people more familiar with
JMS than I am.

Antonio Goncalves wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I find myself constantly switching from Prelude V3 to GlassFish 2.1. I
> need to use V3 but because some features are not avaible
> yet (appclient, MQ...), I also use 2.1. For that I rely on Maven and
> switch pom.xml files.
>
> I need to run JMS in GF 2.1 without appclient, so I need a
> jndi.properties file. I know that there's a default one
> in appserv-rt.jar but I can't find it in the Maven repository (I've
> looked in http://download.java.net/maven/1,
> http://download.java.net/maven/2 and even
> http://download.java.net/maven/glassfish/). Do you know where I could
> find it ?
The jndi.properties in appserv-rt.jar is mostly there so that, if the
default behavior meets your needs, you don't need to worry about setting
up the JNDI explicitly yourself. I could be wrong, but I don't think
that file itself is intended as an externally-published file which is
why you are having trouble finding it in a repository.

By any chance have you read through this:
https://glassfish.dev.java.net/javaee5/ejb/EJB_FAQ.html#StandaloneRemoteEJB

Although it discusses how to access EJB resources from a client it also
discusses naming issues which apply to queuing also. Have you tried
placing appserv-rt.jar in your class path (even though you are not
running your client as a Java EE app client)?

> BTW, is there any search engine on these 3 repositories ?
>
> On GF V3, do you plan to have such appserv-rt.jar (or with another
> name but a jar with a jndi.properties) ?
That's the plan. The JAR will definitely not be appserv-rt.jar!

> Any roadmap for appclient on GF V3 ?
We have been targeting support for app clients in the v3 JavaOne
release. The official roadmap and schedule page is here

http://wiki.glassfish.java.net/Wiki.jsp?page=GlassFishV3Schedule

and be sure to check back because we are in the process of refining the
schedules.

- Tim