users@glassfish.java.net

Re: NPEs during PoolManagerImpl.getResourceFromPool with Connector Connection Pools

From: Steve Essery <Steve.Essery_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:38:50 +0000

Just some general points on synchronization.

If the node agent is configured to automatically start the instances it
controls when it itself is started, then those instances don't sync with
the DAS and their local repository caches remain unchanged.

The instances should only sync with the DAS - more accurately the Node
Agent fires off a separate process prior to starting the instance that
is going to need sync'ing prior to starting the instance - and its that
process that talks to the DAS.

Differences in system clocks on the DAS and NA machines can cause odd
sync behaviour (there are hidden timestamp files in the areas that get
sync'd (.com_sun_appserv_timestamp) that record the time of the last
sync - these are sent to the DAS so it can figure out what's new in its
master repository which is why having clocks in sync is important).

Stopping/Starting the instances explicitly, e.g. asadmin
stop-instance/start-instance or asadmin stop-cluster/start-cluster (as
the last time I looked it just did stop/start to each instance) will
make them sync.

You can also change the behaviour of the node agent with the
--syncinstances flag, so asadmin start-node-agent --syncinstances=true.

Finding, and deleting all the .com_sun_appserv_timestamp files from an
instance and then stopping and restarting the instance will force it to
resync everything with the DAS.

Might be worth creating a standalone instance on the NA on the DAS box
(if there is still one) using the same config as the other instances and
see when its started whether its configuration matches expectations.
The domain.xml files should be identifical. Making local changes to the
instances always runs the risk of them being overwritten sometime in the
future when a sync does occur.

Regards,
Steve