users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Newbie: Should I run Glassfish when Tomcat is enough?

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 14:25:20 PST

Yeah, as expected, most of them have to do with Threads, usually through ThreadLocal, storing referenced to classes that should be able to be GC'ed.
But
.- Issue 6082 caused a couple of fixes on GF but now is a Grails problem.
.- Issue 5104 seems to be caused by Toplink Essentials... bundled with GF.
The last one has yet no clearly defined cause.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's never a container's fault. Just that the libraries have to do their part as well. And sometimes the cause seems to be the container because it bundles one library in the "wrong" place.

Anyway, I'm with you that it would be nice for this problem to be less frequent in all containers. This thing of having memory problems when restarting web contexts is far too common in the Java world. Something smells fishy.

S!
[Message sent by forum member 'greeneyed' (greeneyed)]