users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish v3 logging one pager ready for review

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:48:56 PST

More—

10. Each property should have its default, min, max or acceptable values described.

11. Can properties be specified as ${SERVER_NAME} and be substituted with a real value? (I assume not). This is an interesting issue when applied against different servers and clusters.

12. What provisions are being made to ensure that high-intensity logging does not become a contested lock?

13. Are there provisions for efficiently emitting batches of log messages under high load in a separate thread (writing 100 messages to a file at once can be far more efficient than one at a time).

14. "file" is more than a file: it's a path and a file. Do we want to have a separate path vs filename? Do we really want to allow a filename that is other than server.log?

15. How are platform-specific paths handled? What happens if a domain uses C:\domain1\logs\server.log and another server in a cluster is on unix? Is there a canonical form for the pathname?

16. "Custom handlers are added to the root logger and available to all applications running on the server. Custom filters are added to each logger known to the system at startup". Please elaborate. There can be more than one? What is the delimiter and which property defines them? What if the same handler or filter is listed more than once? Is there a priority order?
[Message sent by forum member 'llc' (llc)]