users@glassfish.java.net

Re: GlassFish v3 logging one pager ready for review

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:42:47 PST

1. Exported interfaces: to be an interface, the fully qualified class name and exporting module must be specified for the getLogger() method cited. Also, where are logger names defined? Those too might be interfaces. Are there any other idioms that are effectively interfaces such as conventions for how logging should be structured in terms of content?

2. We will need AMX MBeans to support configuration logging. I don't see any mention of that.

3. How can logging for different servers or clusters be supported? Is there to be only one logging.properties file for all servers and all clusters?

4. Recommend shortening "in-xxx" to "xxx" eg "in-bytes" => "bytes" and "in-minutes" => "minutes".

5. Recommend defining the log file property names as constants in a Java class file, also an exported interface, so that clients don't have to hard-code these constants.

6. Recommend renaming "log-filter" to "log-filter-classname".

7. Recommend renaming FileAndSysLogHandler to something else for V3, simply to make a fresh start and avoid confusion with V2.

8. I don't like embedding "com.sun.enterprise.server.logging.FileandSyslogHandler" in the other properties unless you intend it to specifically apply only to that particular log handler. Is that the intent? Can a different log handler be used, and if so, what happens to these properties, do they apply somehow?

9. I think Uncommitted stability for logging.properties is problematic. This is a very important interface.
[Message sent by forum member 'llc' (llc)]