users@glassfish.java.net

Re: installing Glassfish on SUSE

From: vang08 <phlogiston08_at_live.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 06:46:29 -0700 (PDT)

Thank you for your reply, Kristian.

It turns out, this is a SUSE question. I am new to the openSUSE brand of
Linux, and naively thought that the way to install Glassfish on it is to use
Sun's Linux-version Glassfish installer. It is not.

With SUSE, one has to install software using RPM's (.rpm files)--not
installers.

So my quest now becomes to find the RPM or RPM's for Glassfish.

You don't happen to know where they are, do you? Keep in mind, I've already
ruled out the Sun website (searched and eliminated as a source). Not Sun's
installer---an actual .rpm file or files.

vang08 schrieb:
> Has anyone out there actually installed Glassfish on SUSE? I am looking
> for
> an answer from Those people--those with actual life experience installing
> it
> on SUSE, not just people with an opinion.

Though we've been using Glassfish v2u2 in a production environment on Linux
for quite a while, I haven't been doing anything using SuSE for quite a
while so feel free to ignore my "opinion" on that... :)

[...]
> Machine exception and halts. The installer reports install failure at that
> point. The Java Virt ual Machine exception mentions a specific line of
> code
> which is bad.

Could you provide the exact message generated by the VM when crashing during
the installer? This would be extremely helpful in getting your problem
resolved.

> Is there anyone with real world experience installing it on SUSE who
> encountered this same VM exception--and how did you get around it? How did
> You successfully install SUSE.

Depending on your actual message, I have also seen exceptions during
installation on Ubuntu once in a while using the JDK that came with Ubuntu
8.04. Replacing this with a "vanilla" JDK downloaded at java.sun.com
eventually resolved these problems...

Cheers,
Kristian