users@glassfish.java.net

ClientAbortException again.

From: Kristian Rink <kawazu_at_zimmer428.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 10:58:25 +0200

Hi all;

unfortunately dealing with that friend again:

[...]
ClientAbortException: java.io.IOException: Connection reset by peer
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer.realWriteBytes(OutputBuffer.java:412)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.flushBuffer(ByteChunk.java:417)
        at org.apache.tomcat.util.buf.ByteChunk.append(ByteChunk.java:339)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer.writeBytes(OutputBuffer.java:437)
        at org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer.write(OutputBuffer.java:424)
        at
org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteOutputStream.write(CoyoteOutputStream.java:145)
        at
de.planconnect.webui.projekt.controllers.WebUIDocumentController.getPlanList(WebUIDocumentController.java:68)
        at
[...]

Scenario: Downloading a > 10 MB file using a Spring MVC controller in a
webapp inside glassfish v2u2, fronted by an apache2 installation. I've
earlier been hinted that this possibly is just an MSIE issue not causing
any trouble, but in this case however, it does, and it does keep the
file from being transmitted correctly. As far as I see things (i.o.w. as
far as our network infrastructure is involved), there's no real reason
for this issue. On the customer side, in this (worst) case, there's
however no administrator / system maintainer at hand to check what could
possibly cause this problem.

Trying to get this sorted out, could this be caused by

- bandwidth problems on our side,

- issues in our application logic (i.e. local file access),

- configuration of application server and proxy - does
"ClientAbortException" mean the _client_ ,i.o.w. the end users browser,
or just the reverse apache2 proxy being "client" to the backend system,
has caused a "Connection reset by peer"?

Feels like clutching at straws, but I am running out of ideas on that
one... :/

Thanks in advance for any comments, best regards...
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: kawazu_at_jabber.ccc.de * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771 "One