users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Advice on comet technology

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 21:58:12 -0400

Salut,

Bjarki Bjorgulfsson wrote:
> Greetings everyone,
>
> I'm looking for a server to fit my needs. Maybe some of you can point me to
> the right direction?
>
> What I'm looking for is the ability to push data to subscribed clients
> without having to worry about firewall issues. My clients will be written
> entirely in java so a nice java friendly message format would be nice. Maybe
> even SOAP or some sort of serialization over the http channel. I need a
> framework that gives me that rather easily so that I can concentrate on
> developing my gaming application as opposed to having to spend my time on
> getting push functionality to work with some scalability.

If you want to avoid firewall issues, then you need an implementation
that support HTTP with Ajax Push/Comet support[1].

> Here is a demo of what I need:
> http://www.lightstreamer.com/stockListDemoJava.htm but since I'm working on
> an MSc dissertation a commercial product is not an option. Is the
> Glassfish/Grissly Comet solutions only geared towards clients written in
> javascript?

Grizzly Comet supports asynchronous push over HTTP. Any clients (like a
Java clients) can send http request and received a response in the
format they want: JavaScript, Serialized Java Objects, JSON, XML, etc.
Grizzly also support a more low level API (Grizzly Comet build on top of
it), which is called Grizzly ARP (Asynchronous Request Processing)[2].
Depending on what you want to do, you can decide which API fits your
gaming needs :-).

Now if you want to choose an Ajax Push/Comet server, I would decide
among open source one (lightstreamer cost $$$): Jetty, Tomcat 6 or
GlassFish should be your candidate :-)

Thanks

-- Jeanfrancois

[1]