users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Application stop responding to requests

From: Ryan de Laplante <ryan_at_ijws.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:35:21 -0400

Is this running on Windows 2003 Server? When this behavior happens,
open task manager and add the "NP Pool" column. Is this number high
such as 800K, 1000K, 2000K? You might be experiencing what only a few
people have been reporting to Sun: the Non-Paged Pool leak in Windows
2003 Server TCP/IP stack.

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-3666/gawlz?a=view

    Win2003 only: Non-paged pool leak memory, breaking tcp stack and
    richaccess test (6575349)

      Description

*(Windows 2003 only)* There are memory leaks on Windows 2003 systems
when performing rich access functions. The problem occurs because the
Win32 nonpaged pool keeps growing, eventually bringing down the entire
TCP/IP stack. Once the failure happens, the TCP/IP stack is left in an
recoverable state, and the only way restore it is by rebooting the
Windows 2003 system.

      Workaround

There are two workarounds to this issue.

   1.

      Use Grizzly blocking mode by configuring the domain.xml
      http-listener attribute, blocking-enabled="true" or add the
      following http-listener property:

      <property name="blocking" value="true"/>

   2.

      Use Windows Vista or Windows XP.

The workaround and Microsoft patches do not work. We've resorted to
restarting the app server once a week, now we're doing it twice a
week. We are considering changing the OS.

Ryan