users@glassfish.java.net

Re: [Fwd: Re: what is a config used for?]

From: Kedar Mhaswade <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 09:45:31 -0700

vince kraemer wrote:
> I am still interested in an answer to these questions....

I was still interested in answering those. But I am seriously
time-strapped.

> Re: what is a config used for?
> From:
> vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
> Date:
> Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:41:58 -0700
> To:
> users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
>
> To:
> users_at_glassfish.dev.java.net
>

> Thanks for the correction on create vs. copy...
>
> I am still interested in what an administrator would do with a second
> config object, though.
>
> I looked around in the domain.xml for a "developer" profile domain to
> see what I could find....
>
> I found a config, named "server-config". It was used as an attribute of
> a server element. That server element has the name "server"...
>
> I guess that an admin could create a duplicate config object... and
> associate that config object with a server object...

The copy-config command makes sense when you have an enterprise setup.
So, for your developer profile domain, you should first perform the
"upgrade" task by visiting admin GUI and adding the cluster support (this is
a limitation of V2 kind of products).

Once you do that, you get what is essentially termed a "template" config
named "default-config". Now, you can do the "asadmin copy-config" command,
use "default-config" as a source config and say "test-config" as your
destination config which is essentially a "copy" of default-config.

Now, you can assign this config to your cluster/instance and modify the
various elements/attributes therein, *without* affecting default-config
which acts like a template.