users@glassfish.java.net

Re: xen or openvz for Glassfish

From: Markus KARG <markus.karg_at_gmx.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:47:45 +0100

I think the answer (as always) is "it depends". ;-)

XEN completely virtualizes the complete hardware, so it typically comes
with more overhead and eats up more physical resources (but not as much
as VMware Server). OpenVZ is "just" partitioning one operating system
instance by translating handles etc., so in theory it should be faster,
but cannot run other operating systems or similate different hardware
besides the original one (it is just sharing the existing stuff).

There cannot be any good advice unless you write more details what you
like to do. XEN can move virtuals machines on the fly, OpenVZ cannot
etc. So you should concentrate on the target that you want to reach.
Maybe even VMware Server is enough for you, which is free at all.

Have Fun
Markus