users@glassfish.java.net

xen or openvz for Glassfish

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:30:06 PST

Hi *,
I can't decide which virtualization is better (xen or openvz) for running Glassfish. I had hosting for both.

XEN - 512RAM and 20GB
  Glassfish was installed started with - Xmx512m. Also mysql is running there.

OPENVZ - 900RAM and 90GB
  Glassfish was started with -Xmx320m. When I tried to increase the size to -Xmx512m memory error is thrown.

I want to use the hosting for web services, jms and CMS so I need large documents to be processed. For example to read the contents of pdf file.

I have no knowlege about virtualization and I looks like the OPENVZ based hosting has to be a lot better then XEN but my problems with memory shows that it is not the same.

PS: openvz is twice cheaper then xen.
[Message sent by forum member 'valchev' (valchev)]