users@glassfish.java.net

Please help with Glassfish setup

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:53:34 PST

Hello All,

This might be a stupid newby question, please forgive me. I am just starting learning J2EE stuff, so I've installed Java EE 5 SDK (in 'C:\java\SDK'), then Glassfish V2 UR1 (in 'C:\java\glassfish'). I have Windows XP and IIS 5.1. I followed the insructions on how to install Glassfish from https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v2ur1-b09d.html. So I set JAVA_HOME system environment variable 'C:\java\SDK', added a value to my PATH system environment variable: 'C:\java\glassfish\bin'. On the course of istallation the folder 'C:\java\glassfish\domains\domain1' had been created.

When I try to start the server with a command 'asadmin start-domain domain1' I'm getting an error message:

'Domain domain1 failed to startup. There is a conflict on port 8080. Please check the server log for more details. CLI156 Could not start the domain domain1.'

However if I type 'http://localhost:8080/' URL in the browser I am getting something:

'Sun Java System Application Server 9.1 (build b58g-fcs)
Your server is up and running!'

I am confused with these servers. Does this Sun Java System Application Server have anything to do with the Glassfish server? Or are they inependent?

There is one more confusing thing.

I followed the insructions from Glassfish Quick Start Page https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/quickstart/index.html and downloaded a test application hello.war and as the insruction says I placed the file into C:\java\glassfish\domains\domain1\autodeploy folder. A file hello.war_deployed was to be appear in the folder but it didn't. My attempt to run http://localhost:8080/hello didn't get me anywhere. However, there is another 'domain1' folder, it's in the SDK directory, full path: 'C:\java\SDK\domains\domain1'. If I place the hello.war file into 'C:\java\SDK\domains\domain1\autodeploy' folder then the application runs fine.

Could anyone explain to me what's going on?

Thanks,
Alex
[Message sent by forum member 'cadol' (cadol)]