users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Please help with Glassfish setup

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:13:11 PST

Alex,

Your confusion is understandable. I am sorry we did not handle this that well. Here is what's going on in your case:

- You installed SDK in C:\SDK. That created a default configuration of the server. We call it
  the default domain. This domain occupies the port 8080 and identifies itself as "SJS App server".
  You probably stopped it later so that your system now has none occupying port 8080.

- Now someone told you about GlassFish :). Then, you installed GlassFish at C:\glassfish. That
  too, created a similar default domain! That too had 8080 as its port because at the time it was
  created (as part of running ant setup.xml), the port was available. You stopped that.

- Now, you went back to SDK and started it oblivious to the fact that you'll be occupying 8080
  in the process. SDK default domain is kept running.

- Now you want to start GlassFish and that's when the port conflict occurs.

So, yes, you have two different servers. Two different installations. The sad part is however,
the index.html gives you the *exact* same identification.

Solution:
- cd C:\glassfish\domains\domain1\config
- edit domain.xml with your favorite editor and change all occurrences of 8080 by another port
  of choice (say 9090)
- cd C:\glassfish\bin; .\asadmin start-domain

Now remember that 8080 is your SDK port and 9090 is your GlassFish port.

Please file an RFE about identifying the server properly.

Regards,
Kedar
[Message sent by forum member 'km' (km)]