users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Custom Web-app Loader - How To?

From: Jeanfrancois Arcand <Jeanfrancois.Arcand_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:33:30 -0400

glassfish_at_javadesktop.org wrote:
> When did you fork?

Grizzly was born on 5.0.13 :-)

> We've been doing this subclassing bit in Tomcat since 4.1.x days via various <Context> sub-elements, i.e. <Resources className="..."/> and <Loader className="..." and loaderClass="..."/>. I'm not sure if this was possible in 4.0 or 3.x days -- we just set the classpath for the entire servlet engine back then (and, yes, we *could* revert to this today, but it would be a step backwards).

OK now I recall :-) The loader can be defined in context.xml (and
server.xml) right? GlassFish supports context.xml[1] but I'm not sure
the loader element is supported. Should not be complicated to implement
and can be quite useful.

Are you defining it under context.xml or server.xml?

> I realize this is somewhat of an odd requirement and could always patch Glassfish itself. It would be far better overall to be able to modify the behavior by extension on a per-web-app basis, though.

Right :-) Then context.xml is the way to go (for GlassFish). Do you mind
filling an RFE?

Thanks!

-- Jeanfrancois