users@glassfish.java.net

Re: webstart and desktop shortcut

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 15:29:46 PDT

Hi, Roll.

That's a very interesting suggestion. Could you open an RFE for it? I'm not promising that we'd be able to implement that, but it's intriguing. Where and how do you envision the environment property being specified? Administrators can already specify property values in various places in the domain.xml.

Another way you might be able to accomplish the same thing is to write your own servlet patterned after the example one that comes with Java Web Start. It does placeholder substitution along the lines you've described. I'm not sure it directly supports what you want in its current form, but it might be a starting point. Of course, that would take you out of the realm of the automatic support for Java Web Start launches that GlassFish provides.

One possible drawback to adding this feature to GlassFish is that GlassFish, like Java Web Start and Java in general, tries to pay very careful attention to security. Placeholder substitution in arbitrary locations in the JNLP could conceivably open the door to some security problems. Maybe not, but it is at least a possibility.

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]