users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Deploy Problems

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 10:36:53 PDT

Hi, again, Danny.

I'm glad it sounds like this approach will work for you. I see your point about using a private static variable for the remote I/F. If I understand what you meant it sounds like it makes sense. (I had just hacked something to make sure it would work before I pointed you in that direction!)

I'll be eager to hear your results. (I will be out of the office most of next week so do not mistake silence for lack of interest.)

One small piece of (unsolicited) advice - and you may already plan this. If you will have a lot of initialization work to be done, consider doing it in a separate thread from your main client thread, perhaps displaying a "Working..." progress bar or something like that as the init code runs. Users tend to prefer this to having the U/I simply stall while the warm-up occurs; to them, nothing seems to be happening.

(I am not a U/I expert but as a user I have encountered plenty of software from teams that apparently did not have one on staff!)

- Tim
[Message sent by forum member 'tjquinn' (tjquinn)]