users@glassfish.java.net

J2SE JPA sharing Connections with EntityManager

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:28:52 PDT

I have a simple J2SE program that I'm working with, and I'm curious how to get a JDBC Connection that's on the same transaction as Entity Manager work.

Specifically:

[code]
public void contrivedExample() {
    EntityManagerFactory emf = Persistence.createEntityManagerFactory("pu");
    EntityManager em;

    em = emf.createEntityManager();
    em.getTransaction().begin();
    Customer cust = em.find(Customer.class, 1);
    cust.setName("Bob Eubanks");
    Connection c = ????; // What goes here??
    PreparedStatement ps = c.prepareStatement("insert into log(msg) values ('inserted a customer')");
    ps.executeUpdate();
    ps.close();
    c.close();
    em.getTransaction().commit();
}
[/code]

So, basically, I want to mix JDBC with EntityManager work, but I want them to share the same transaction. How do I do this?
[Message sent by forum member 'whartung' (whartung)]