users@glassfish.java.net

Re: EJB3 Timers

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:18:09 PDT

> I was wondering, is there any way to stop the
> persistency of the timers?
> Sometimes it is critical that timeouts will be done
> by a constant intervals, and if there was some
> failures, when server is up again, all 'missed'
> timeouts being executed one after another, and in
> some situations it might be very risky,

Interesting request. I'll take note of that as input to the next spec, EJB 3.1.
There are many timer APIs, so the persistent quality of EJB timers is one of
the things that distinguishes the EJB Timer Service. Of course, one other
advantage is just the nice integration with the EJB component model itself.
So, I can see some value in making persistence an option, in the same way
message persistence is the default, yet also an option, for JMS messages.

One thing to note is that the EJB spec only requires a single redelivery on
server startup for each timer that would have expired while the server was
down, so in the glassfish implementation you wouldn't be receiving N redeliveries
in quick succession for a typical periodic timer.

> Yes, I am positively sure that when I cancelled one
> timer all the others (from other beans) stopped too,
>
> I'll post an issue about it,

That would help, thanks.

 --ken

> Thanks a lot,
>
> Asaf.
[Message sent by forum member 'ksak' (ksak)]