users@glassfish.java.net

WebStart application and forthcoming training :/

From: Witold Szczerba <pljosh.mail_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 00:54:59 +0200

Hi there,
in my company, we are finishing application for our customer. It uses
Glassfish (EJB3) and Swing application available via Java WebStart
(using Glassfish Application Client Container).

The application, when launched via WebStart, needs to download about
50MB. And here comes the trouble. Next week, our customer will gather
+/- 30 employees in some location and we are to train that employees
how to use our application.

Today I was thinking about that and I am wondering what will happen
when we say: OK guys, first of all you have to launch our application,
here is the Java WebStart link......... and 30 people will
double-click on JNLP icon.... it means that they all together will
demand about 1,5 GB to be downloaded from HQ of our customer :/ That
will take _forever_ to accomplish.

I was wondering what can we possibly do to avoid that, it will take
hours to download such an amount of data. Today I was trying to find a
solution. I have installed some simple HTTP Proxy software on my
computer, then I reconfigured Java WebStart to use that proxy. I have
flushed WebStart's cache and downloaded application. In a directory
where proxy cache is, I found about 15MB - that is much smaller that
is should be :/ Then I flushed WebStart cache again and launched
application for the second time, but I saw it was downloading
everything (or almost everything) again.... Looks like WebStart (in
general, or maybe only Glassfish ACC) is instructing http proxy
somehow not to use its cache.

Do you have any ideas, is there any solution for that?
My emergency procedure is to prepare CD's with Glassfish and compiled
application and try to develop some way to launch it in the same
fashion as NetBeans does it, but when during our training (it will
last 2 or 3 days) we find some bug, there will be no option to
redeploy application (at least no client side).

Help most wanted.
Regards,
-josh