users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Major Application client frustrations

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 11:36:58 PDT

Hi

yes we've shared the same frustrations with the ACC as is. Above the footprint and lack of webstart customization problems for which we could live with, we found the major performance with the orb really annoying and blocking to continue with the ACC.
In our application, we must deploy on clients with low bandwidth, and we found unacceptable responses times in our tests.
So we decided to switch to a lighter implementation with Hessian and we are really happy with it because we have now:
- low footprint, the client jars size downed to < 300k
- no more firewall issues, all http
- no more performance issues, responses times in certain cases downed from 40s to less than 1s

this was at the cost of refactoring a bit our architecture and loosing all the benefits of having the ACC with depency injectioin, automatic security etc.

I believe the ACC is a big step for enterprise java clients, but it is not completely production ready as is and needs some more work to adress these issues, but i m quite confident with what Tim said that in glassfish v3, it will be another beast ;)

Best regards
Yves.
[Message sent by forum member 'ygillet' (ygillet)]