users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Dire performace getting initial context from web start app.

From: <glassfish_at_javadesktop.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 04:40:09 PDT

Hi Steve

I would assume that the Application Client Container (ACC) which is what you are using when running your client via the official web start method, has no means of knowing if you app has a gui.
As far as the ACC is concerned, it just injects into the main class and runs it. So the to answer your question, I don't think there is a solution to the awful wait before the splash is displayed.

As an aside.
I ran into this issue a while back, and decided that using annotations in the client app to inject resources was generally a very bad idea. I had no control and could not tell the user what was going on.
I fixed this by removing all the annotations, replacing them with lookups manually. At least this way I could keep the user entertained with a pretty please wait screen and some form of progress bar.

Hope this helps

Peter.
[Message sent by forum member 'phenderson' (phenderson)]