users@glassfish.java.net

Where should GlassFish Installation create the "default" domain?

From: kedar <Kedar.Mhaswade_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 16:00:21 -0800

Folks,

Need a user perspective in this case.

When GlassFish is installed and set up using the setup.xml's,
the domain (server) where your applications get deployed is
created in install-dir/domains. This domain is named "domain1".

Domain is what you own. Your applications, your configurations,
customizations are all stored there. Does it then make more sense
to store it in your home folder, rather than the folder where
you install the bits?

One benefit I see with storing your data in your home folder
is protection against accidental deletion. When you upgrade
GlassFish from build to build or from release to release, you of
course don't want to recreate domain, redeploy apps etc. Every
subsequent build should be able to smoothly run the applications
that were deployed/run with previous builds.

This is kinda similar to other softwares where your configuration
(user data, if you will) is stored at one place and the bits
are stored in some system folders (e.g. "Program Files" in case
of Windows).

Are there other benefits? Would this be something that we should
attempt? This should help smoother upgrade experience, because every
new build/release just "runs" your applications without any hassle.

Are there any cons?

Please discuss.

Thanks,
Kedar