users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Where should GlassFish Installation create the "default" domain?

From: Wouter van Reeven <wouter_at_van.reeven.nl>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 12:48:45 +0100

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 10:27:22AM +0100, Markus KARG wrote:
> I'm a Windows user, so what you will get now is a Windows view of
> things. ;-)
>
> The home folder on Windows is user specific. GF is a server product,
> that hosts applications that are most often NOT user specific. So that
> should not go into the home folder, but it should stay in a machine
> specific folder. Most software on Windows is allowing to specify folders
> at installation. If nothing specific is told, a subfolder of its
> installation folder is used. This is what GlassFish currently does. So
> there is no need for a change. If you want to change something, then you
> should support defaulting the installation into the
> ProgramFiles/Java/GlassFish folder instead of c:\sun*, and use the File
> System ACLs to control read and write access to that folder.

I am a Linux user and in Linux the situation is similar. User specific stuff
goes into user directories, system specific stuff goes into system directories.

However, I guess there are two kinds of deployment. First there is a developer
who is developing an application and who'd like to test it out. This may happen
in a user directory. Then there is an application maintainer who installs updates
and upgrades. This should happen in a system directory.

In case of the developer, either a test install of glassfish should be used in a
system directory, or a "private" glassfish install in a user directory. Many
IDEs offer the option to onnect to either case and many even include an app
server (JDeveloper includes OC4J, NetBeans includes Tomcat). In either case, I
don't feel there is a requirement for a separate user directory to which a
(test) application may be deployed on a test server that is installed in a
system directory. I would personally never want to hae my test app run on a test
server before I am sure the app doesn't potentially cause any harm to the test
server. I would aways try my test app out on a private app server before pushing
it to an "official" test server.

*steps off the soap box*

Greets, Wouter

--
People: "If she weighs the same as a Duck, she's made of wood!"
Sir Bedevere: "And therefore...?"