users@glassfish.java.net

Re: comparing glassfish with tomcat

From: Craig McClanahan <Craig.McClanahan_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 07:51:13 -0800

Harpreet Singh wrote:
> One particular feature that caught my attention was "Each host has its
> own authentication realm". This is supported in Tomcat and not in
> GlassFish.
>
> GlassFish has authentication realm per application (I implemented it
> ages ago, I hope it is still there :-)). Look under
> sun-application*.dtd under the libs/dtd directory.
>
> You could write a custom realm
> (http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/appserver/reference/techart/as8_authentication/index.html)
> and configure all your applications on a particular host to use this
> authentication realm and voila you have a realm per host. It is a
> workaround but nevertheless if this is something that you are looking
> for - these steps will simulate it for you.
>
> But then again, realm per application seems more flexible then realm
> per host. ;-)

FWIW, Tomcat can have per-application authentication realms as well.

But I would be cautious about drawing any conclusions from this
particular wiki page as it currently stands; one would really want to
cover the several hundred interesting features that application servers
and servlet containers might have instead of cherry picking 16
particular line items -- a quarter of which simply point out that Tomcat
is not a JavaEE 5 server.
> Thanks
> Harpreet

Craig