users@glassfish.java.net

Re: comparing glassfish with tomcat

From: Harpreet Singh <Harpreet.Singh_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 00:56:49 -0800

One particular feature that caught my attention was "Each host has its
own authentication realm". This is supported in Tomcat and not in
GlassFish.

GlassFish has authentication realm per application (I implemented it
ages ago, I hope it is still there :-)). Look under sun-application*.dtd
under the libs/dtd directory.

You could write a custom realm
(http://developers.sun.com/prodtech/appserver/reference/techart/as8_authentication/index.html)
and configure all your applications on a particular host to use this
authentication realm and voila you have a realm per host. It is a
workaround but nevertheless if this is something that you are looking
for - these steps will simulate it for you.

But then again, realm per application seems more flexible then realm
per host. ;-)

Thanks
Harpreet