users@glassfish.java.net

Re: Performance and access logging

From: vince kraemer <Vince.Kraemer_at_Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:56:21 -0700

ludo wrote:
> Jan Luehe wrote:
>> ..
>>
>> I think we need to do a survey of how useful access logging is during
>> development,
>> and how much of a performance penalty people are willing to pay for it.

Why are we optimizing performance at development time, when the user
will get hit with a performance penalty when they go into production
(and enable logging)? It seems like we should do the opposite...

> why not, but...
>> Tomcat disables it by default, and nobody has ever complained about it.
>>
> Tomcat is well represented by real developers, and I think we could
> avoid the survey there, and just watch this mailing list for feedback.

Do you mean like...
http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=14482&tstart=0

Anyhow...

It seems like most folks leave the access log off because their Tomcat
server is living behind an Apahe httpd....

See
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200604.mbox/%3C74e15baa0604060805q42cffee5t42d6ec1a29e9b501@mail.gmail.com%3E

I think they are discussing this issue:

Is this (apache httpd fronting GF) the configuration we should recommend
to folks taking Glassfish into production?