quality@glassfish.java.net

Re: Reducing Memory Footprint

From: Richard Kolb <rjdkolb_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 09:43:45 +0200

Hi Tim

On 10 June 2011 16:18, Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com> wrote:

> Richard,
>
> Now that we have a promotion of build 7 it should contain this change, so
> you should see improved memory management.
>
> Please let us know what you find with your apps, good or bad.

thanks

Very good news, Previously ScrumToys failed at 235 deploys
http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-16656 with maxperm gen

Now, it does about 712 deploys. See attached image.
The PS Old gen now seems to be the issue.

What ever you did made a massive difference, thanks

I also did a test with this sample that crashes after 55 deploys :
http://java.net/jira/browse/GLASSFISH-16654
It now crashes after 68 deploys, so also an improvement.

regards
Richard.

> - Tim
>
> On Jun 10, 2011, at 4:33 AM, Richard Kolb wrote:
>
> Hi Tim or Harald
>
> Very exciting news indeed.
> Can I set with 3.1.1 promoted b7 ?
>
> regards
> Richard
>
> On 9 June 2011 23:37, Tim Quinn <tim.quinn_at_oracle.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello, Harald.
>>
>> Great news! Thanks for taking the time to try the new build. With luck
>> an upcoming hk2 integration will help some as well.
>>
>> - Tim
>>

>> On Jun 9, 2011, at 4:20 PM, Harald Wellmann wrote:
>>
>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> I've just tried the current nightly build glassfish-3.1.1-b07-06_09_2011,
>>> and your fix for GLASSFISH-16747 seems to have made an enormous change.
>>>
>>> The heap usage of my application has dropped from 156 MB to less than 70
>>> MB.
>>>
>>> Thanks so much for working on this issue - I'm really looking forward to
>>> the 3.1.1 release!
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Harald

3.1.1_scrum_toys_ps_old_gen.png
(image/png attachment: 3.1.1_scrum_toys_ps_old_gen.png)

3.1.1_Scumtoys_ps_perm_gen.png
(image/png attachment: 3.1.1_Scumtoys_ps_perm_gen.png)